In our club any one of our club Executive can open the meeting. In many other clubs the protocol is only the club President opens the meeting.
The title of the Executive member that opens the meeting is ‘Presiding Officer’ and s/he also closes the meeting by taking over the lectern from the General Evaluator.
At the opening of the meeting, the P.O. bangs the gavel at exactly 5:29 to start the meeting. S/he does the following:
- Welcomes everyone to the meeting
- Asks guests to introduce themselves (:30 each)
- Gives an orientation safety speech
- Gives an (optional) educational one-minute speech about a topic of his/her choosing
- Introduces the Master Toastmaster
At the close of the meeting, the P.O does the following:
- Thanks the General Evaluator (GE) for their evaluation of the meeting
- Handles any club business matters, which includes club announcements and reminders e.g. to bring guests and use Turbobase to schedule roles.
- Announces and awards the winners of the speech contest
- Asks guests (if there is time) for any feedback. (:30 each)
- Closes the meeting by banging the gavel for a second time